[Osmf-talk] May 2017 use of Code Of Conduct (CoC) for Membership control in HOT US Inc internal governance

Rihards richlv at nakts.net
Wed Dec 6 13:04:55 UTC 2017


On 2017.12.01. 23:16, Dale Kunce wrote:
> Nico,
> I'm responding here but please consider this a response to all of your
> posts on multiple threads. 
> 
> You and Sev bullied the HOT community for years, now subjecting others
> to the same bullying all to try and settle old scores. It needs to stop.
> The HOT community suffered from these types of posts and false
> accusations for years and collectively decided you are wrong. Your
> vitriol and constant accusations are devoid of fact, were and are
> detrimental to the positive community we are focused on modeling and
> building. Yes, you've been subject to Code of Conduct violations in the
> past, with reason. Not because HOT has some anti-democratic bent but
> because you were rude, lied, violated confidentially and conflict of
> interest policies, and sought to split the HOT community.

there have been detailed accounts of perceived wrongdoings from Severin,
Nico and others. the responses usually were more light on the detail,
which made it hard to evaluate this all neutrally.

specifically, you have repeatedly accused Nico of of lying, but i
haven't seem any actual mention of that (sorry if i missed those, a lot
of email on this list lately).

could you please detail all the cases of lying ? i'm asking both because
this would shed a different light on the detailed accounts (which have
been quite successful to cast it all in the light of open-and-honest vs
closed-and-less-honest light), and also because it's kinda uncool to
call somebody a liar and not back it up :)

> Sev continually violated his legal obligations as a HOT Board. No one
> incident lead to his removal but a pattern of repeated violations of his
> legal obligations as a board member, which put HOT in legal risk. I
> won't go into detail because I'm under legal obligation not to as a
> member of that board. I was on the board and voted to for his removal,
> it was one of the hardest things I've had to do in HOT. Following our
> bylaws, we asked the membership to vote for his dismissal. The reasons
> presented to the membership at that time was sufficient that a 2/3
> majority voted to remove him.
> 
> HOT is a better place now that these types of things don't happen. They
> don't happen anymore because we enforce our Code of Conduct. Creating a
> safe place and kicking out the bullies is hard work. It took HOT years
> to recognize the cause of our internal animosity and to work on ways to
> build a more inclusive collaborative community. We did this through the
> creation of Community and Governance Working Groups (open to all
> members). We developed mechanisms, approved by the membership, to help
> make our conversations more productive. This is the HOT Code of Conduct
> <https://www.hotosm.org/hot_code_of_conduct>. Nothing here is offensive,
> nothing here should cause you to not discuss an issue, or speak your
> mind. There are positive ways to talk with and respect one another and
> still have disagreements. You've shown repeatedly that you cannot, thus
> the code of conduct violations.
> 
> I'm sad to see that the old wounds, slights, and arguments from HOTs
> past continue to be resurrected every year by the same few. I wish and
> hope that we could focus on the future of OSM instead of continually
> looking backward at the same arguments from the same people.
> 
> Dale...
-- 
 Rihards



More information about the osmf-talk mailing list