[Osmf-talk] Gender in OSM/OSMF

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Wed Dec 6 15:10:34 UTC 2017

Am 06.12.2017 um 13:37 schrieb joost schouppe:

> - once you have a new mapper, you usually never see them again. This
> Great Filter, is it random with regards to gender (and atypical
> backgrounds)? If not, why? I don't think we're anywhere near finding
> out if it is, and if so why. It is really hard to do, since you are
> left with such small numbers that stay active.
We shouldn't forget that there is one study that looked at this topic
https://publik.tuwien.ac.at/files/PubDat_218905.pdf  and iirc the
factors they saw for contributing/not contributing were neither really
gender specific, nor due to community interaction. They are more or less
what you expect (time, not really interested etc). I've pointed out
before (I'm in broken record mode today :-)) that the low ratio of
people that continue with OSM relative to those that grow to become
large and regular mappers, is extremely common among past times that
require more than sitting on the couch and pressing buttons. Lots of
them churn through lots more people to get just a handful of really
interested participants.

This is one of the reasons I don't believe that mapping parties of any
kind should even remotely be thought of as a good way to recruit larger
numbers of mappers, while mostly fun, in the end they simply burn time
of the people organizing them with no real result.

Simon