[Osmf-talk] Surveys

Thomas Gertin tgertin at vt.edu
Wed Dec 6 21:05:35 UTC 2017

That is an interesting idea of putting notices for a survey into the
desktop editors. However, I don’t think that would be my top choice if
I were to design a survey for OSM.

I think that surveying a random sample of the population is extremely
important. It is important not to risk introducing unintentional or
intentional biases in the survey.

My naive assumption is that a survey advertised within the desktop
editors would result in a higher participation rate from advanced
mappers and from OSM users who maintain more active ties within the
community. It would difficult to measure and correct for these biases
(and potentially others). In addition, this could introduce issues
with the validity of the results.

We need to be wary of designing surveys where people self-select
themselves to participate.

-Tom G