[Osmf-talk] Surveys

Michael Reichert nakaner at gmx.net
Wed Dec 6 19:40:01 UTC 2017

Hi,

Am 06.12.2017 um 16:16 schrieb Simon Poole:
> The main problem with this (again broken record mode) and really ages
> old issue, is that we do not ask sign ups for permission to send them
> unsolicited mail in any form.
>
> The problem is not terribly difficult to fix, just nobody that has
> proposed to do a survey (and there have been dozens and dozens over the
> years) , has actually had enough interest to either fix the issue
> themselves or pay somebody to do so.

If a survey should be answered by active mappers, notifications in their
editor would be a way to reach even more than using third-party news
services like Wochennotiz and WeeklyOSM. JOSM has a message of the day
feature as long as I can remember. iD is usually used from osm.org, i.e.
a message (top left corner) on osm.org for logged-in users could reach
mappers using iD. This would also reach users who use Potlatch 2. Only
mobile editors are not reachable. I myself think that popus with the
latest news are more annoying than helpful in mobile apps.

To summarize it, we can reach mappers using desktop editors already.
There are only two groups which are unreachable: mobile-only mappers and
inactive mappers. If I were an inactive mapper, I would find it annoying
to get an email asking to contribute to a survey.

Best regards

Michael