[Osmf-talk] Organized Editing Best Practice

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Tue Dec 12 16:39:34 UTC 2017

On 11.12.2017 20:00, Marc Prioleau wrote:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Organized_Editing_Best_Practice

Hi, it's encouraging that there seem to already be some recognized best
practices regarding organized imports among the corporate members
represented in the Advisory Board. As a summary of the status quo for
organized editing, the document can be valuable input.

Because you explicitly reference the DWG's recent efforts towards a
Directed Editing Policy in your mail, though, I'd like to point out that
there's a difference in scope: Your document limits itself to activities
for which people receive direct rewards – monetary or otherwise –,
whereas the DWG's proposed policy is, with good reason, written to be
more broadly applicable.

And of course, your document primarily reflects the point of view of
organizations interested in performing organized edits. As we've seen
from the DWG's survey this year, there's a notable difference between
that perspective on the one hand and the hopes of the community of
non-organized mappers on the other. As such, the DWG's text will
necessarily need to go beyond what's already current practice (i.e. the
items listed in your document) to find a solution that also meets the
community's needs.

My suggestions back then notwithstanding, the DWG's recent proposal
already achieved that balance quite well. So as long as there are no
drastic changes in the final version, I'm optimistic for the outcome of
the process. Still, I thought it made sense to point out these
distinctions, given the overlap between the documents and the somewhat
similar names.