[Osmf-talk] [HOT] [hotosm-membership] Re: Code of Conduct Reminder

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 19:23:36 UTC 2017

Hi, Pete:

Yes, I forgot to say my opinion about the user who said he was
unsubscribing.

In my opinion, it's childish to quit an open forum, where anyone can
subscribe, just because somebody says something you don't like.
Specially when you see already some people telling you that no one can
control what others have to say.

If it was me, I would say it politely, like "I think not having a tool
to create squared buildings in iD is a pity, because if we had, more
squared buildings would be mapped". But what I, you or Dale think about
politeness is something that depend on many factors, the most important
of them cultural. Believe me when I tell you that I didn't find it
unpolite, and it passed unadverted to me.

We, the overall OSM community, are very gentle and pacific in general,
so we can govern ourselves without the need of any CoC. All this thread
tells me very clear how negative a CoC in OSM lists would be.

Are we confortable with that? We can tell him things similar to those
that others said already to him, in the way "what one person says,
whether you don't like it, is what one person says, but not what the
rest thinks. And maybe he wasn't meaning that he hates you, but he hates
that you iD devs don't have a building tool like JOSM". There are ways
to say the same better and more clear. But what I am clearly against is
to put him under the foot of a CoC. Only the name, CoC, scares me a lot.

I hope I make me more clear now.

Cheers,

Rafael.