[Osmf-talk] [HOT] [hotosm-membership] Re: Code of Conduct Reminder

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 22:38:35 UTC 2017

Hi, Rory:

My comments inline.

On 15/12/17 20:19, Rory McCann wrote:
> What's wrong with each mailing list having separate, per list moderation
> and rules?

Well, the OSM community at large should approve each list rules. Quite a
mess, having so many OSM fora. Don't you think so?

> Why not give HOT Inc moderation power of the hot@ list? If a
> group wants to run its group according to specific rules (within some
> limits), what's wrong with that?

Because HOT inc is an independent org. It's easier to have a list on
their own, like the hot membership list and others, apart from the HOT
inc tasking manager, github account, etc. Each org has the right to
decide their own rules of governance. I am fine with that.

> OSMF doesn't have a global code of conduct (yet 😉), but State of the
> Map conferences do. Same idea.

State of the Map is a face to face event, not mailing list. It's normal
that there can be some rules to avoid problems with the country hosting
the event. A mailing list is of universal access. Therefore, what is
acceptable in one place is unacceptable in other. Some people of one
area find normal what others find rude. There is nothing bad in that.
The huge majority of us are good faith people. We just need to be a bit
flexible, that's it.

Cheers,

Rafael.