[Osmf-talk] [HOT] [hotosm-membership] Re: Code of Conduct Reminder

Milo van der Linden milo at dogodigi.net
Sat Dec 16 01:27:18 UTC 2017

I could not agree more, I would vote this paragraph as *required* into any
CoC!

That people are communicating in English here does not mean in any way
they agree to conform to an American or British understanding of what
is and is not acceptable behavior.  I know this is much easier for
non-native English speakers to accept but since this is an
international cross cultural project i think this is something also
native English speakers need to accept.

> On Friday 15 December 2017, Kate Chapman wrote:
> >
> > In English it would be okay to say you hate a thing, it is not okay
> > to say you hate people or a group of people. What was said was
> > completely inappropriate because of that difference.
>
> A bit of general advise regarding cross cultural communication - not
> targeted at anyone in particular:
>
> It is always a good idea to not think and argue in absolutes when it
> comes to assessment of behaviour, especially if it is about behaviour
> through which people communicate their feelings.
>
> That people are communicating in English here does not mean in any way
> they agree to conform to an American or British understanding of what
> is and is not acceptable behaviour.  I know this is much easier for
> non-native English speakers to accept but since this is an
> international cross cultural project i think this is something also
> native English speakers need to accept.
>
> --
> Christoph Hormann
> http://www.imagico.de/