[Osmf-talk] [HOT] [hotosm-membership] Re: Code of Conduct Reminder

Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski me at komzpa.net
Sat Dec 16 09:43:06 UTC 2017

> That being said don't get me started on the SotM CoC.  So far i never
> seriously considered visiting SotM but if i ever do the SotM team is up
> to being asked some pretty tough questions.

I'd love everyone to ask themselves a question: am I being and acting like
a valuable member of community, or just being a selfish?

Christoph, you aren't even going to visit SoTM but you're trying to say you
have tough questions on CoC - are you planning on sexually harassing
someone, or just commenting on their body size? :)

We've had an issue of lack of moderation on Russian OSM Forum,
https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewforum.php?id=21. After a simple block
of ~4 people after some months the atmosphere there went back to normal
discussions without calling anyone asking a question an idiot. Of course
those people weren't happy and running around saying 'it's censorship, you
don't have such right' during weeks of new moderators re-election.

What mailing lists lack is a way for shy people to be involved in list self
moderation. Many websites have a concept of 'Karma', with everybody having
a +1/-1 button, or like/dislike button.  There's no way for some people to
get the hint of "you're going to wrong direction, stop". The only time they
can affect something by clicking a button is at the board election now, and
I congratulate Heather with the doubtless first place.

> It is doubtful that there ever was a SotM visitor under this CoC who has
> not violated it during the conference - which makes the whole thing an
> exercise in arbitrariness.

I've been to SoTM US and accepted and followed conference Code of Conduct.
I've just specifically went to the conference website and re-read the CoC
to double check. I'd like Christoph to either show everyone how I violated
it, or apologize.