[Osmf-talk] Code of Conduct Reminder

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Sat Dec 16 16:09:12 UTC 2017

On Saturday 16 December 2017, Benoit Fournier wrote:
> So it is my turn to simply state:
> Christoph, I honestly don't know if you are being ironic here or
> serious.
>
> I would like to read more precisely what you found so weird in the
> SotM code of conduct?
> Or any specific part that could only be violated?

First: I am not being ironic here.

The SotM CoC is difficult to read due to long sentences with complex
structure (in particular the second paragraph with nested comma and
semicolon separated lists) and because the addressee is nearly always
referred to in an indirect form.  I consider myself to be a quite
capable English language reader but i had to read this carefully
several times to accurately understand it.  I doubt you can expect even
a native English speaker with just high school reading experience to be
capable to read and truly understand this - not to mention all the
people with only non-native English reading ability.

Besides that there are a number of really peculiar 'rules' in this CoC
but i would need to provide quite a bit of context to make clear to
everyone, including people with very limited multi-cultural exposure or
with little or no conference experience, what is strange about them.

And to be frank - since i have never been at SotM so far i consider the
whole thing not really my business - if people want to meet under rules
i find strange that it their business and i have no business
criticizing those rules.  If i find the rules of such an event strange
this only is a sign for me that this conference might not be suitable
for me.

I only commented here on this matter because Rory mentioned the SotM CoC
as a model for online behaviour rules.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/