[Osmf-talk] Treasurer's report for 2017 AGM

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Mon Dec 18 18:13:45 UTC 2017

On Monday 18 December 2017, Mikel Maron wrote:
> * Geographical representation -> we're mapping the whole world, SotM
> should have participants from everywhere* Minority groups
> representation -> bring greater ethnic and gender representation to
> SotM* Community activity and benefit -> what is the track record of
> participant in their local community, and how will the community
> benefit from their attendance * Participation at SotM -> what will
> there presence bring to SotM in terms of sessions and participation*
> Financial need -> would not be able to attend without scholarship
> support

What you describe are aims for the scholarship program and not selection
criteria for applicants.  Based on general goals like these you can
justify the selection or rejection of any candidate so starting a
selection based on such general and ultimately vague goals would be an
invitation for subjective interests or individual bias rather than a
means to make the process more objective and more transparent.

But from my point of view looking at the applicant demographics from
last year and knowing who is to perform the selection would need to
come before actually discussing specific selection criteria.

Looking over your list of goals i severely miss the goal of personal
educative gain for the applicant.  If that is not the primary goal of
the program calling it a scholarship seems kind of misleading.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/