[Osmf-talk] Treasurer's report for 2017 AGM

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 20:36:22 UTC 2017

Hi all,

*Note: Please remember to "assume positive intent" when responding. We at
but mere humans... :-)*

As a general reminder the OSMF working groups are always open to more help.
In regards to the SotM-WG the barrier to entry is very low (email team AT
stateofthemap DOT org) and we will then work with you to see where you
could fit in.

As Mikel pointed out, a few of us have been working on adding more
information to the wiki but this is slow progress as the hours taken to run
SotM alone consume a lot of time - documenting it just adds to the
pressure. Where we have a clear cut (ie. yes/no) policy in place for the
scholarship we have documented it. We also have documented the general aims
of SotM. The selection process Mikel set out highlights many of the factors
that get taken in to consideration after a first pass (scoring, as
described on the wiki). As Christoph has pointed out he missed educational
gain to the scholar. I am pleased to confirm that this is included and many
of the scholars from 2017 have returned home and taken actions directly
based on what they learnt at SotM (the chat group that the scholars set up
is still active today!).

For SotM 2017 there were 8 people involved in the selection process. I have
tried to highlight major affiliations when known. As always we welcome more
people to join this process.

   - Kristin Bott (Kristin had recently undertaken an exercise to review
   travel grant programs across a number of open source geo / open mapping /
   etc conferences)Rob Nickerson (SotM 2017 lead, OSM UK Local Chapter)
   - Mikel Maron (OSMF Board)
   - Kate Chapman (OSMF Board)
   - Ilya Zverev (OSMF Board)
   - Gregory Marler (OSM UK Local Chapter)
   - Dorothea Kazazi (OSMF Assistant, although I believe she did the
   scoring as a volunteer)
   - Benoit Fournier (OSM France Local Chapter)

In my two years doing this I have found that you can have some clear cut
rules, other parts require a lot of debate and discussion amongst the
selection team. If we could write a computer code that does this all for us
then (a) we would have, and (b) it would be open to abuse. Nevertheless we
welcome your thoughts on the process.

@Nicolas & Christoph: What I can do is share the submissions with you from
both 2016 and 2017. You could then work on coming up with a selection
process and provide us feedback. If this is of interest, please drop me a
note so that we can discuss. Some data will likely need redacting (email
addresses) but hopefully we can keep much of the original data. I would
recommend putting aside 8 hours to read all the form responses, plus maybe
the same again to work on a basic selection process.

Best regards,

*Rob*