[Osmf-talk] "a viper pit of racism and misogyny"

Robert Banick rbanick at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 10:33:57 UTC 2017

Simon — I don’t see how the involvement of Google makes that comment more
acceptable, nor do I see how the context provided enriches this discussion,
except to justify the vitriol to the sizable anti-Google contingent within
OSM.

But I also think calling out individual statements on listservs is an
unproductive way to resolve tensions, so I’ll leave it at that and move on.
I’ve said my share of things in poor taste as well.

——

Thank you to Frederik *et al* for making an honest effort to move the
discussion forward. I think an anti-harassment policy — elsewhere known as
a Code of Conduct — is an easy first step towards having a better culture
of communication in our community and I’m whole heartedly behind it.

I am also behind what Joost, Ben, Ilya and many others have noted about
making our community more welcoming. That’s altogether more difficult
because it involves people having to actually self-censor from time to
time.

Joost, I don’t think a CoC would solve our problems in this regard but it
sends the right signal that we’re aware of our issues and aspiring to being
that better community. Instead of now, when we pretend that our
communications are fine, when they’re manifestly problematic for a lot of
people, as noted by Ben.