[Osmf-talk] "a viper pit of racism and misogyny"

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Wed Dec 20 22:57:58 UTC 2017

Am 20.12.2017 um 23:26 schrieb Eric Dose:
> "Not in the best of taste"? That person just expressly wished a
> painful death to me, my loved ones, and to all US OSM mappers. And
> while a (true) statement like "women can be sexist" is punishable at
> OSMF, apparently a wish for mass death is protected.
But the person in question naturally didn't wish that even by a long
shot of the imagination. I just pointed out the context so that it was
clear that there wasn't a hatefest going on of any kind and nobody
supported the statement in question, people simply say very stupid
things off the cuff at times, and no CoC is going to stop that.

And I don't think we are at the point yet that saying "women can be
sexist" is a punishable offence (the notion of the OSMF "punishing"
somebody is interesting in any case).

> Shame on OSMF. For some reason, I imagined that OSM was about mapping
> and building a database. I imagined OSMF might be about leadership.
> Silly me. Now I see they are mostly about protecting violent speech
> that one likes, while punishing speech that one doesn't. I'm very
> sorry I recently spent ~150 hours of my life in mapping. It was
> supposed to help people who have nothing, but now I see that
> first-world navel-gazing is more important than saving lives here, and
> my efforts are destined to go down a hole.

Now that is a completely -different- kettle of fish, which is would be
worthy of its own heated discussion, but I don't think anybody wants to
venture there right now.

Simon