[Osmf-talk] Board term limits and term lengths

Mikel Maron mikel.maron at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 17:12:17 UTC 2017

Oh, I agree OSMF has work to do in order to represent the OSM community better. That's why I'm happy for the recent membership drive. I think we could do with a lot more energy in how we manage and promote membership, and engage and support members in the Working Groups. I also think Local Chapters have a critical role here. Efforts like the micro-grant program. In short, I think there's no shortage of things we could be spending time on to improve representation and engagement, and the critical thing for OSMF is finding enough energy and resource to see good ideas through.
* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

    On Friday, November 10, 2017, 11:59:11 AM EST, Christoph Hormann <chris_hormann at gmx.de> wrote:

 On Friday 10 November 2017, Mikel Maron wrote:
> [...] As it is, I don't see
> governance structures as the main thing OSMF needs energy put into
> right now anyhow.

The point that makes this important for me is the one i have been
pursuing since I joined the OSMF - the legitimacy of the OSMF as a
representation of the OSM community.

If you regard the OSMF simply as a company (which it formally is)
running OSM in its own interest (this is what companies usually do) i
agree - questions of governance structures are not of high priority.
But if there is a claim of representation, governance, balance of power
and mechanisms of control and oversight are of central importance.  I
don't think term limits are essential for that, they are just a small
element.

So you have my full respect if you decide not to pursue this matter
further because you consider it unimportant but for me governance
structures in general are of central importance for my opinion of the
OSMF and regarding the question if i stay a member and if i contribute
to OSMF work, for example in the working groups.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/