[Osmf-talk] Board term limits and term lengths

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 18:29:24 UTC 2017

OSM has changed remarkably since it started.  In the early days there were
few mappers and a small database.  We've done a lot of good.  We've
certainly managed to stand out on the Open Data side and as Frederik has
mentioned we allow people to map anything.

These days things are both much bigger and more complex.  There is
certainly a fair chunk of value added involved.  From small businesses
putting themselves on the map to larger companies such as Mapbox and also
Microsoft to some extent.

I think the current board is doing fine but I am concerned about
"commercial" interests taking over.  I include HOT as a commercial interest
here it's not commercial in the normal sense but it does have paid staff
either directly or resourced from one of the charities.  I think it is
something to look out for and beware of.

>From my professional background before I retired I have a couple of
concerns.  The first is security.  To me no one comes close to Microsoft
for security at the operating system level.

 Microsoft System Center Operations Manager is something I would consider
essential to keep things running smoothly.

Third for an operational system you do not want to be running one of the
largest databases in whatever product.  I would hope that the board would
consider moving to Microsoft SQL server.

It was noticeably cheaper to run in SQL server with operations manager by
the way.

Talk nicely to Microsoft and get them to take you through this stuff.

My background was database support with the Canadian Federal Government.
Unix machines were a concern on the security side.

Anyway I have digressed and since I have no intention of standing for the
board I'll leave you with the thoughts.

 These are issues that the board should take a look at.  On maximum fixed
terms there is good and bad.  Having people around for a long time is good
in that they remember what has happened before.  The bad part is when they
do leave it is difficult to replace them with someone as experienced.  A
compromise might be to have a single rotating place on the board that was
filled at the board's discretion so that a number of people could gain some
experience of how the board works.

Cheerio John