[Osmf-talk] Directed Editing Policy

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Tue Nov 21 18:02:31 UTC 2017

I would like to point out that if you consider the results of the survey
the policy draft is actually pretty lenient - especially with all the
points listed under A2 as "encouraged" even though the survey indicates
a significant fraction of the non-organized mappers would be in favour
of a stricter regulation.  For example the "Instructions must be
available for inspection" topic received more than 2/3 clear support
from the unpaid/unorganized mappers (either agree or strongly agree).

This means the policy tries to - in those fields the survey indicated to
be somewhat controversial between paid mappers and independent
individual mappers - trust the organizations performing paid mapping to
act responsibly and in the spirit of good cooperation.

Something to keep in mind if you are evaluating the policy draft as a
stakeholder in directed editing...

Another note: Since there are quite a few new members on this list some
of which are likely not so familiar with the history of the topic and
several comments made indicate not everyone is aware of the history it
seems important to point out that this policy is not being created out
of a whim of the DWG.  There has been a clearly increasing intensity of
directed editing activities, mostly from corporations and mostly doing
good work, over the past few years but there have also been a number of
prominent rouge activities of this kind as well as cases where well
meaning activities failed to productively contribute due to a lack of
understanding of how OSM works.

Based on this there have been discussions in local communities about the
possibility of creating rules regarding organized/paid mapping.  A few
rather prominent cases of secret organized activities (in particular
what i discussed in [1]) and probably also the mentioned discussions in
local communities led to the OSMF board to decide to task the DWG with
working on a policy [2] which led to the survey we had in September
[3] - results in [4] and then the drafting of the policy we discuss
here.

[1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/imagico/diary/40759
[2]
https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-04-18#Corporate_map_editing_policy