[Osmf-talk] Directed Editing Policy

Joseph Reeves iknowjoseph at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 09:18:04 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I've not looked at the policy in detail, but I think that it's going to
suffer from a problem that the original survey shared:

"The policy replaces the somewhat fuzzy terms of "paid" and "organised"
editing with the concept of "directed editing", "

Paid and organised editing was fuzzy in the original survey, but only
because the survey treated them as such, to such an extent that a cynic
could say that it was deliberate. The terms themselves are very clear: paid
mapping means that mappers receive financial compensation for their work;
an organised mapper may be directed in their actions, but they're not doing
it for money.

In my day to day life I am not suffering from a fuzzy understanding of paid
work I undertake and any volunteer work I may do. Does anyone here?

I believe the proposals are nominally directed towards paid mapping, but
the assertion that this is somehow confusing has caused problems throughout
the community consultation and drafting process. I would like to see an
improvement in defining the terms in use, and the explicit scope of the
proposal, although I admit again that I am replying mainly to the
introductory email.

Joseph