[Osmf-talk] Candidacy: OSMF Board

Heather Leson heatherleson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 17:36:21 UTC 2017

Dear OSMF members,

Community is hard and beautiful. [1] Thanks Sev, for sharing the data and
for your feedback on the quality of my mapping. While I believe that it
would be helpful to give feedback on mapping to the person rather than
posting to a public list, as a contributor to OSM, we try to have thicker
skin. In my time volunteering to support OSM, I have never claimed to be a
master editor of the map. Should we really organize ourselves in a way
where a volunteer willing to offer skills and time to our community must
follow this prescriptive path? Does this behaviour encourage new mappers?
How might we learn from engagement tactics from other open source
organizations?[2]  To be honest, I dream of OSM having a culture of
kindness and mentorship in person and on all our community channels.

Thank you for sharing some examples of events. At the Nairobi Crisismappers
Conference, I worked with the organizers to support this event and
conducted outreach. This included supporting Sev, Ketty, Olu, Josh, Mikel,
Chad, and others. It was indeed a team effort and much fun. The IEEE event
happened because I negotiated with the organizers then invited Pierre and
Samuel to speak. I also spent time in my network to gain support for the
talk and to have OSM featured. Part of being a leader is putting others in
the spotlight and doing the activities to support the ‘mapping’. The
November 15th event was hosted at my workplace. I made all the arrangements
(location, food, advertising, outreach) including recruiting participants,
speakers, and mappers to support. It takes all kinds, and many skill sets,
to pull this off at the scale at which we work. It seems unfair that I
would be publicly discredited for my contributions because those
contributions do not match your definition of community volunteer and
champion. This brings up the point - what kind of culture do we have at OSM
if the leaders or those who want to help are treated with such eager
malalignment? I am not alone in this targeting, but is this really the user
experience we want at OSM? And, is this how we want people to perceive OSM
and OSMF when they read public lists or hear about this type of behaviour?

Being a Board Member is about strategic planning, organizational
development, and decision-making. HOT’s board in the early years was an
operational board. We have finally moved to more of a strategic board,
which I think fits with the goals of OSM for boards. I appreciate that you
have your viewpoints during my 4 years on the HOT board, even if the tone
is less than respectful. It is true that I aimed to focus on fundraising
when I joined. The reality was that the issues of governance,
organizational development, and community became a higher priority. That
being said, I helped Kate Chapman write grant applications including the
successful Humanitarian Innovation Fund grant which resulted in
OpenAerialMap Funding [3] and other grants. I encourage people to review
the HOT board minutes [4]

In 2015, HOT’s Board did indeed have a multiple number of priority issues,
including finances. That year, in addition to my other board duties, I lead
the hiring process and procedures for recruitment for a new Executive
Director. Board members, in general, for any organization, are not expected
to volunteer their time more than 5 -10 hours a month.[5] I can honestly
say that there were weeks that I volunteered upwards of 15 - 20 hours
responding to the changes in HOT that year, including the Nepal Earthquake
activation. Yes, I wanted it to be around 5 hours a week, because I had a
full time job and wanted a personal life. Not that I should ever have to
justify my contributions as a volunteer to an open source project, but part
of the reason that I did not map during that period is that my time
contributing was fully focused on the other responsibilities.
Organizational Development is at the core of any community. This means
accepting diverse skills and people to expand and support the ‘core
operation’.  We simply need to be more functional and honest with ourselves
- why is it so hard in OMSF to open up? Anyways, it is inappropriate of me
to comment on all the board activites that year due to disclosure rules.
The Board and Member meeting minutes have details.

The comments to this thread are indicative to the true state of experience.
I am thankful for the supportive comments and to redirect the conversation
to running the OSMF board. However, I will state again, as I mentioned in
my diary entry[6], that OSMF needs a Code of Conduct that is enforced. This
is a standard practice in open source communities.

Lastly, this note is unbecoming in tone and content. It attacks my
character, my professionalism, my volunteer contributions, and my career. I
can honestly say that I would spend my time as your OSMF leader helping us
have a culture of trust and kindness with accountability. No one should
have to suffer this kind of mistreatment.

Heather

[1]
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/Working_groups/Community/HOT_Resolution_Process

[2] Community Roundtable  http://www.communityroundtable.com/ ; Art of