[Osmf-talk] Candidacy: OSMF Board

Heather Leson heatherleson at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 17:10:46 UTC 2017

Dear colleagues, I responded to the note [1] and all the subsequent
questions (especially on community development and funding local chapters)
on the Election wiki note[2] After a few hours of reading and writing,
there are a few outstanding comments.

First off, thanks to those who provided some thoughts on what type of
culture we want at OSMF.

On contributions - It seems to me that OSMF needs a diverse skilled board
to help manage this type of change. You (in general) might not agree with
me or you may not vote for me. This is your prerogative. A strong board is
only possible if they work with the OSMF network and the working groups.
One would expect that there are super smart people on all those fronts to
consult. A board member should be able to listen, to support, and to guide
planning.

On Map edits - Today I've spent about 3.5 hours going on 4 hours answering
emails and wiki questions. In the past week, there have been hours doing
the same. Over the past 7 years in and around OSM, I spend more time on
this back/forth than on mapping. True story. Can I shift my contributors?
Sure, I have a positive attitude on that front. What is your mapper level
that needs to be achieved to be 'accepted' as a leader or 'qualified for
the board'? I am not just asking for myself. What about all the other
potential leaders in this community who want to help with governance and
who want to support OSMF? If we truly want to engage more leaders and/or
volunteers in the working groups, local chapters, and etc, then clarity
helps. Also, let's say some of the 250 people people who just joined OSMF
this round decide - "hey, I have some time, patience, and skills. I want to
volunteer. Someday I may even run for an elected position or try to lead in
a working group. How can I achieve this goal and be accepted/respected?"

On Code of Conduct - Yes, Rafael and others, you are right - a code of
conduct is not going to resolve the larger questions. As I mentioned on the
wiki, we need a code of conduct enforcement and mitigation plan. Meaning -
what is the negotiation and resolution process? How can we have a culture
that does not result in mailing list churning? Culture does trump strategy.
So, if we really want to have a better, healthier environment respecting
all our divergent views, then we are going to have to find a way to
communicate. And, we will need some help on this. Many times over the years
I have been told by community members and supporters that they avoid all
the OSM mailing lists because it is overwhelmed with this type of
experience.

Okay, time for some dinner and peace time before work. Thanks again

Heather

[1] https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2017-
November/004423.html
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Foundation/
AGM17/Election_to_Board#Future_of_the_map

Heather Leson
heatherleson at gmail.com
Twitter/skype: HeatherLeson
Blog: textontechs.com