[Osmf-talk] Candidacy: OSMF Board

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Thu Nov 23 18:18:49 UTC 2017

On Thursday 23 November 2017, joost schouppe wrote:

> This quote to me is the worst of the text:
> > Seeking to join the board of the OSM Foundation with such a high
> > OSM profile is really shameless

Thanks.

In German characterizing behaviour as shameless (schamlos) that you
consider inappropriate or selfish in a very bold way is widely
accepted - not only in everyday conversation between people but also in
situations where a guarded and thoughtful formulation is usually
expected.

While this is considered a strong form of critique - someone is
criticized not only for what they do but also for doing it in bold,
excessive or ostentatious form with complete disregard for it being
inappropriate - it is not generally considered demeaning or defamation
because it is a critique of behaviour and not of character.  Referring
to a person as 'schamlos' rather than to their specific actions can be
different (depending on context) but this is very rare in German
(except maybe as a hidden and slightly ironic compliment for boldness).

Note this is not meant to say i agree with Severin's assessment.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/