[Osmf-talk] Standing for board election

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sat Nov 25 15:46:59 UTC 2017

Am 25.11.2017 um 12:42 schrieb john whelan:
> This is boring and sensible and not what we have come to expect from
> candidates this time.
>
> There is so much money riding on OSM these days that I wonder if we
> should have some sort of remuneration for board members or at least
> some paid staff.  It might attract a wider variety and make us a
> little more independent of commercial interests but this would be a
> very big change for the board and membership to consider.  It would
> also need to be thought about.  I understand in the US nonprofits may
> not pay their directors but certainly in Canada Cooperatives at least
> can and do.

There are (at least) a couple of aspects to this:

- what role does the board actually have: is it more strategic, or is it
essentially a working executive board (and other variants). Historically
it seems to have wobbled back and forth but in general, been "weder
Fisch noch Vogel" (German expression: "neither fish nor bird"). If we
moved to a paid board, we would likely still want to have a separate
non-paid oversight board of some form.

- staff in any form would currently increase the dependency on a)
commercial entities, and b)  on US interests (since essentially all such
entities with enough funds for larger donations are US based)

On the later point: OSM has as far as I know never received any larger
contribution to operating costs from your typical sources of idealistic
donations, again lots of these are US based and only support US
organisations, or are very project orientated which IMHO doesn't really
work for core OSMF. It is quite possible to obtain funds for specific
software projects, but then there is no real need to go through the OSM,
which is OK, except that the side benefits tend to not benefit the OSMF
either (classical example Mapbox, both Tilemill and iD were originally
financed by the Knight Foundation that besides funding the actual
projects kickstarted the whole company).

Simon

PS: there is the other problem that why on earth would you want to pay
the board first? Surely you would want to pay the people on the OWG, DWG
and LWG before the directors, given they are actually core to operations
not the board, unluckily that would probably amount to a couple of
million just for starters.