[Osmf-talk] Gender in OSM/OSMF

Heather Leson heatherleson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 08:05:04 UTC 2017

Dear OSMF members

I'd like to re-open a discussion about gender in this community.  How can
we improve the gender balance? I know there are some amazing leaders and
best practices. It would be great to hear from women and other genders that
are often rare voices. Kate posted about diversity this summer. Let's build
on this.

As much as I've been vocal during this period, I tend to read and not
comment on this forum. The reason for that is partially due to the tone.
OSM can only truly global if we keep working on this.

Also, would the "actions" from this discussion flow to the membership
working group? I notice that there are no women listed on the wiki for this
group. Maybe we need a "gender chair" to really follow through. The
"membership working group" does not appear to have the offical
responsibilty to improve the community experience. If not the "membership
working group" to take up this gap, then maybe we need a balanced
"community working group" .

Thank you and have a good day,

Heather