[Osmf-talk] Balancing the presence of the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team at the OSM Foundation in 2017

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Nov 29 20:48:00 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 11/29/2017 07:29 PM, Rihards wrote:
> european contributors sometimes view usa as a very corporate-centered
> place with little grassroots activity and volunteering,

Let's put it this way: A place where volunteering happens, but is only
considered effective if properly incentivised and steered by community
outreach/community management, which are posts usually held by
professional, paid staff.

In my opinion, the culture gap here is not to be underestimated, and it
is very easy to offend people from across the pond (in both directions)
by unreflectedly assuming that your way of doing things is more
enlightened. That's one of the challenges of a global project - for
everyone to see that they might not be in possession of the ultimate wisdom.

Bye
Frederik