[Osmf-talk] Balancing the presence of the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team at the OSM Foundation in 2017

Dale Kunce dale.kunce at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 20:57:18 UTC 2017

Lots of people here have expressed an interest in having geographic
diversity on the board. Maybe this is cart before the horse. I'm curious
what the metrics are behind the actual membership is made up of. I know
that we don't have demographic data for OSMF members but do we have at
least a country or regional breakdown. Maybe the first step is to start
actively recruiting more OSMF members in under represented areas.

Dale

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 10:59 AM, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:

> Am 29.11.2017 um 19:45 schrieb Rihards:
> > On 2017.11.29. 20:41, john whelan wrote:
> >> The other part of perception is HOT is inc in the USA.  Donald's recent
> >> tweets may not reflect HOT's views but the association maybe drawn by
> some.
> > if i got the reference right, that's an extremely long stretch that i do
> > not agree with, but acknowledge that it might be noticed by somebody.
>
> I don't think that anybody particularly associates Trump with the US
> board members :-). There is naturally an issue. that particularly if you
> believe that the board should be a representative body (not necessarily
> a believe I hold) there has been a long time over-representation of
> North America, mainly at the expense of Asia and developing countries.
> But that is just one of many imbalances relative to the make up of our
> overall community.
>
> Simon
> >
> >> Cheerio John
> >>
> >> On 29 November 2017 at 13:29, Rihards <richlv at nakts.net
> >> <mailto:richlv at nakts.net>> wrote:
> >>
> >>     On 2017.11.29. 20 <tel:2017.11.29.%2020>:21, Martijn van Exel
> wrote:
> >>     >> On Nov 29, 2017, at 10:02 AM, Christoph Hormann <
> chris_hormann at gmx.de <mailto:chris_hormann at gmx.de>> wrote:
> >>     >>
> >>     >> On Wednesday 29 November 2017, Martijn van Exel wrote:
> >>     >>> [...] Merely
> >>     >>> having an affiliation DOES NOT represent a conflict of
> interest. A
> >>     >>> conflict of interest only arises when a topic is being addressed
> >>     >>> where a board member has an interest in the topic stemming from
> their
> >>     >>> outside affiliation that may not align with the interest of
> OSMF.
> >>     >>
> >>     >> I am no expert on conflicts of interests but i think this is not
> quite
> >>     >> correct.  As i understand it a conflict of interest exists based
> on the
> >>     >> possibility of an undue influence of a secondary interest, not
> just if
> >>     >> such an influence is actually exercised in a meaningful way.
> >>     >>
> >>     >> My understanding is that even if you know/believe your secondary
> >>     >> interests (for example as a Telenav employee) align perfectly
> with the
> >>     >> interests of the OSMF on a certain matter or even if you intend
> to act
> >>     >> against these secondary interests you would still have to recuse
> >>     >> yourself from participation in a decision making process on
> matters
> >>     >> where your employer has an interest in due to the possibility
> that
> >>     >> these interests do not align perfectly and you might put these
> >>     >> interests above your obligation as a board member.
> >>     >
> [...]

sent from my mobile device

Dale Kunce
http://normalhabit.com