[Osmf-talk] Balancing the presence of the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team at the OSM Foundation in 2017

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Thu Nov 30 00:02:11 UTC 2017

On Thursday 30 November 2017, Simon Poole wrote:

> Just so that words don't get put in my mouth: I was referring to "our
> overall community" not the OSMF membership which may, or may not show
> a similar distribution as actual mappers (we simple don't know).

Actually we have some numbers for the OSMF members:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/dieterdreist/diary/41045

As written in a different mail recently it would be nice to know if and
in what way the recent new members have a different distribution.

For comparison we have for example your analysis of the global
distribution of mappers:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/SimonPoole/diary/40246

which of course is just an estimate and could be inaccurate and which
also does not distinguish between more active and less active mappers.

If the recently newly signed up OSMF members have not changed things
fundamentally it is fairly likely that US mappers are over-represented
in the OSMF while mappers from South America, Africa, the Middle East,
Asia and Russia are significantly under-represented.  In Europe it is
likely that the UK is over-represented and France is under-represented.

The US and UK mappers being relatively strong likely also has a lot to
do with the lack of a language barrier in these cases.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/