[Osmf-talk] Balancing the presence of the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team at the OSM Foundation in 2017

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Thu Nov 30 11:37:29 UTC 2017

Am 30.11.2017 um 01:08 schrieb Dale Kunce:
> One thing I think about a lot when the conversation of HOT being
> somehow separate from OSM is what would the map look like. What would
> happen if all of edits ever made by HOT were reverted overnight?
You are conflating edits claimed by HOT Inc (essentially anything that
remotely was made in the context of HOT Inc going in to panic mode,
which is all the time), with actual edits made by Hot Inc members and
staff, I think we could easily survive reverting the later (that is not
saying that it would be a good idea).  In general I find the marketing
trick of trying to count everybody that ever edited in the context of a
task on the HOT Inc tasking server, as a HOT Inc supporter as rather
tasteless, for example it includes myself (yes and my edits are good and
should remain :-)).

To be clear the discussion here is not about people that have edited in
the context of HOT (note the missing Inc) gaining more influence, it is
about a small self-selected, near sectarian group getting more
influence, those organised in HOT Inc.

> What would the map look like if all of the technology created by HOT
> to do its humanitarian mission and help the OSM community didn't exist?
What if HOT Inc had added task manager functionality to the rails port?
Now that would have really been helpful.

What if HOT Inc would support building on and improving the tools that
already existed instead of re-inventing the wheel essentially every
time? (Yes I know the background is that is easier to sell and has the
benefit of funnelling money specifically to friendly orgs and companies)

What if HOT Inc would support a contribution model that didn't require
everything to be done twice and validators were free to actually map the
important things well the first time?

What if HOT Inc wouldn't promote the "building geometry" cult?

> My answer to the above is the map would not be better, we as an OSM
> community would not be better off. The same questions could be asked
> of any larger sub-group within OSM and the the answers would be the
> same. We are better off with the collective experience and skills of
> everyone on the project.
>
> Lastly, I would hazard to say that most HOT mappers view themselves as
> OSM mappers that happen to do humanitarian mapping more than the other
> way around.

What if HOT Inc. would stop pretending that they are morally better
people and are "mapping for good", contrary to the other lesser beings?

In my book all contributions to OSM are "humanitarian".

Simon