[Osmf-talk] Balancing the presence of the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team at the OSM Foundation in 2017

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Thu Nov 30 14:05:33 UTC 2017

On Thursday 30 November 2017, Joseph Reeves wrote:

> It's a long practised technique that if you want to be critical of
> HOT you refer to them as "HOT US inc". This is, in my opinion, just
> soft racism.

You might want to reconsider your use of the word 'racism' here.  Even
if there was an anti-US attitude behind referring to the US based HOT
organization by its official name calling it racism (which is by
definition discrimination based on ethnicity) would be inappropriate.

In my eyes the fact that people feel the need to clarify what they are
referring to by referring to "HOT US inc" is a direct result of HOT
(the organization with that name) frequently monopolizing the concept
of humanitarian mapping in OSM and equating it with 'HOT' in
communication.  This has no causal relationship with anti-US attitudes.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/