[Osmf-talk] Balancing the presence of the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team at the OSM Foundation in 2017

Joseph Reeves iknowjoseph at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 14:28:03 UTC 2017

Hi Christoph,

I intentionally used the phrase "soft racism".

In my real world example in my previous email, I wouldn't get through the
day as a non-racist if I carefully explained that I was mentioning race in
the name of clarification:

"Hey, has the Romanian delivery driver, and I only mention their place of
birth because I want to clarify that other delivery drivers are available,
delivered my parcel yet?". In such an example the Romanian bit is still
unnecessary, as it has nothing to do with the delivery of my parcel. I
should point out that I do know people that talk like that, and I have
called them racist before, in real life.

Again, the fact that the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team is registered in
the US has nothing to do with their role in the OSM ecosystem. If you
remain concerned that you need to clarify between different humanitarian
groups operating in the OSM realm, you should just refer to them by their
common names, otherwise people like me (who may be overly sensitive) may
worry about *soft* racism. Of course, you can still say that *Humanitarian
OpenStreetMap Team US inc.* is the correct and full name, and you want to
keep calling it that, but I would worry that such typing is going to get
boring after a while, not least for yourself.

Cheers, Joseph