[Osmf-talk] Membership Fee Waiver Program

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Sat Sep 23 12:46:57 UTC 2017

On 23.09.17 11:40, michael spreng wrote:
> [...]
> ... the membership working groups relies on publicly available
> information from paypal and about political embargos.
> Contribute something else of value
>
> [...]

I am not sure it is legal. At least, it could be construed as following
- there is a political embargo for a land, but we have devised a way to
circumvent it by accepting barter.

I support the principle of impartiality for the OSM project, but I think
it is not a good idea to get involved with a political embargos in any
way. Let it be a Fee Waiver for active contributors who are students,
people with low income, etc.

A political embargo is not a light topic. I know a company that had to
close down because of it.

So in general it is a good idea, but in my opinion, the wording
"political embargos" should be removed from the program.

On 23.09.17 12:33, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> On Saturday 23 September 2017, michael spreng wrote:
>> The Membership Working Group started with the implementation of the
>> fee waiver program. It is based on the board resolution from
>> Oct. 14th 2014 [1].
>>
>> [...]
> [...] an optional payment for long term OSM contributors -
> you would specify your user account when signing up as member and if
> you have been actively contributing for at least a year with at least x
> changeset and y changes you get a checkbox (checked by default but
> which you can uncheck) to pay a membership fee or not?
>
> [...]
I think it is a good idea to include the number of changesets into the
equation.

Best regards,

O.