[Osmf-talk] Membership Fee Waiver Program

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Sat Sep 23 13:52:45 UTC 2017

On Saturday 23 September 2017, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> *If* one wants to look at edit activity (which is already difficult
> because one would have to implement OAuth in the signup form to
> ensure the person actually is the owner of the OSM account they claim
> to use) then I think we should only say "someone what has shown a
> dedication to improving OSM through their edits" or something like
> that, and leave details to MWG's discretion, because otherwise things
> can easily be played.

Yes, this is a difficult matter and although i kind of doubt there would
be much serious attempt to manipulate it this is kind of playing with
fire so starting with a version that requires free membership to be
manually confirmed by a MWG member makes kind of sense.

Still i think it would be preferable if this was presented as 'opting
out of a voluntary membership fee' rather than applying for a waiver
because you cannot pay the fee.

You could also make this a more or less neutral selection like:

------------

( ) I would like to join the OSMF as a member and pay the normal
membership fee to also make a financial contribution to support the
OSMF's independence.

( ) I am an active contributor to OpenStreetMap and would therefore like
to join the OSMF as a member but would prefer not to have to pay the
membership fee.

By the way - if i understand it correctly the need to verify the
applicant is the owner of the of the OSM account in question also
exists for the concept Michael presented.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/