[Osmf-talk] sponsored membership

Steve Friedl steve at unixwiz.net
Wed Sep 27 16:49:09 UTC 2017

Yes, this indirectly came up in the Membership Working Group that’s working on the fee waiver: we decided to drop the “financial hardship” part because (in part) this is very hard to verify, certainly less easy to verify than the lack of a reasonable money transfer facility.

I think we all can understand the general benefits of sponsored memberships, but the details can easily get us sent out into the weeds.

The determination of who deserves/qualifies for one of these sponsored memberships seems like it’s going to be a sticky part (likely managed by the MWG), rules crafted and then then applied to people we’ve never met in real life. Will we need notarized statements? Is this open to real abuse? Etc.

As far as designated memberships, I’m not sure this solves a real problem: somebody can just give cash to some other person: “here ya go”, and this is exactly what a larger enterprise might do if it wanted to influence things, by reimbursing all its employees for joining OSMF.

Steve