[Osmf-talk] Board meeting/closed session

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Thu Apr 19 21:41:28 UTC 2018

I wanted to make a few comments regarding today's board meeting and the
closed part of it.  For those who were not there:  The agenda item

https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2018-04-19#Corporate_donation_with_un-disclosed_amount

was not being discussed publicly but was being moved to a closed part of
the meeting - IIRC the first time this has been done without it being
announced in advance on the agenda.  A few questions for clarification
regarding that:

* I am not exactly sure about the reason for not discussing this
publicly.  IIRC there was a comment from a board member who said he
does not feel able or comfortable to discuss this in a generic form but
there was no formal decision to discuss it in closed session.  This
does not feel right to me.  It would mean kind of a precedent that any
board member can ask to close the meeting on any subject without a
formal majority decision.
* Regarding the subject itself i have difficulties to understand how the
board can discuss a matter like this in any other than a generic form
(i.e. in terms of a general policy regarding what forms of donation are
acceptable for the OSMF).   In other words:  It seems inconceivable to
me that the board will make a decision either in favour or not in
favour of this donation offer that does not have the form of a
universal policy that would equally apply to any other corporation.
* There have been various board members who indicated they might be
affected by a conflict of interest on the matter.  Did any of those
refrain from participating in the discussion of the matter in the
closed part of the meeting?  Does the board think members with a COI
participating in the board's contemplation of a matter that will
usually lead to the board members forming their opinion to presumedly
be articulated in a later decision on it by those without a COI is
acceptable?

I am sorry if these questions appear to be niggling but you probably
remember last year we had the case of an unusual financial contribution
being discussed in private in an overall less than optimal form.  So i
am going to watch this one closely - even at the risk of appearing to
be a PITA.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/