[Osmf-talk] Board meeting/closed session

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 23:30:35 UTC 2018

Hi all,

Having been involved in fundraising, my experience is that there are
good reasons to discuss some donations in private, especially if the
donor or potential donor asks for confidentiality for a time or even
to make it an anonymous donation.

OSMF's board on the whole are experienced, professional, folks whom I
trust to put the best interests of OSM first. They have made a ton of
progress in opening the board meetings and increasing transparency
over the past few years. If they feel the best course of action is to
discuss this in closed session, I have never seen a reason to doubt
their judgement in such matters.

Conflicts of interest also do not prevent someone from expressing
their opinion or contributing to discussion. It usually excludes them
from the vote on the matter, but that is about it.

Good luck on securing the donation!

Cheers,
blake