[Osmf-talk] Next OSMF board meeting this Thursday, 16th of August, at 21:00 London time

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Mon Aug 20 08:11:03 UTC 2018

On Monday 20 August 2018, Eugene Alvin Villar wrote:

> I would like to note that while I am interested in attending these
> board meetings, as someone living in the Far East, these meetings
> take place during really inconvenient times. I understand that the
> usual time when these board meetings take place is convenient for
> current (and past) board members (evening in Europe and afternoon in
> the Americas), they kinda suck for us who live in East Asia,
> Southeast Asia, and Australia. So I just rely on reading the minutes
> to keep myself up to date with board activities. (And for this, I
> thank Dorothea for doing such an excellent job in keeping the minutes
> well-organized!)

Maybe since the open board meetings are now well established we could
discuss the possibility to publish recordings of the meetings.

I know this is surely a controversial topic and there are valid
arguments against it but i also wonder if there ultimately would be so
much difference between having a large number of guests in the meeting
listening in (which happened a few times in the past) and having a
recording being made available.

I have no definitive opinion about this but i recognize Eugene's
argument as a very valid point and i also noticed that the guests at
the meetings are almost exclusively from Europe (probably >80-90%, the
rest mostly from North America).

By the way Michael Reichert (Nakaner) has frequently published his own
notes from the meeting in German which nicely supplement the official
minutes for those who were not there:

https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=700754#p700754
https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=704521#p704521

Based on this one other option would be to allow people who want to
communicate about the meetings in a similar fashion as Nakaner for
local communities in a 'less fortunate' time zone to access the
recordings for this purpose (with the ensurance not to distribute the
recordings themselves).

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/