[Osmf-talk] OSMF Board election 2018 - candidate answers and manifestos ready

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Thu Dec 6 22:30:57 UTC 2018

On 06.12.2018 20:05, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> On Thursday 06 December 2018, joost schouppe wrote:
>> Paid positions: I don't think my idea of "project management"
>> necessarily clashes with Tobias's of "no managerial positions". I
>> don't see project management as "a leadership position". Usually,
>> their role is to guide processes along and make sure that what
>> happens is in line with what the people involved want. Big part of
>> their job description probably overlaps with what Dorothea does now.
>
> Well - that is ultimately a question that would be for Tobias to answer.

None of the tasks that Joost explicitly mentions in his answer – helping
others get stuff done, reporting, planning, and organizing – are
something I would inherently object to.

Indeed, these might just as easily be the tasks of someone whose job
title reads "assistant" rather than "manager". So we need to look a bit
more closely: Is this a person who volunteers can delegate tasks to, and
who follows the community's lead? Or would this person generally make
decisions based on what they, themselves, consider the best course of
action, give instructions, and shape the direction of the project?

It's the latter set of responsibilities that I would be particularly
concerned about (beyond the more general considerations that apply to
any paid staff), and that I had in mind when expressing my opposition to
paid management positions. The role of the OSMF is to serve, not
control, the OSM community, and this applies to any foundation staff as
well as the board.