[Osmf-talk] [OSM-talk] Board decision on Crimea complaint

Roland Olbricht roland.olbricht at gmx.de
Tue Dec 11 10:32:50 UTC 2018

Am 10.12.18 um 18:28 schrieb Christoph Hormann:
> On Monday 10 December 2018, Martijn van Exel wrote:
>>
>> A more comprehensive statement will follow in the next weeks.
>
> Transparency at work...

If you find yourself a gun pointing at you during a bank robbery, you
are neither free to talk nor to move.

I do not expect that the board members have been threatened to be
visited by armed agents at their home addresses. But I do not think that
the board has been invited to a philosophical discourse either.

Note that mechanisms like gag orders exist in some jurisdictions:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gag_order
In particular, some variants (e.g. in the US) require the gagged party
to deny even the existence of the gag order.

It is hard to convey relevant information around such a gag order.  It
may make sense to carefully prepare one attempt before the pressure
excercising power learns which channel to obstruct.

I personally do trust the board.

We may need to reconsider whether we need and can have communication
channels that account for both external pressure and potential
misunderstandings.

Best regards,

Roland