[Osmf-talk] 2018 a third episode of entryism by HOT US Inc at OSMF Board after 2015 and 2017: call 4 action (candidates/members) for a balanced OSMF Board

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 08:25:06 UTC 2018

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 7:55 AM nicolas chavent <nicolas.chavent at gmail.com>
wrote:

> We're witnessing in this 2018 election a third and continued attempt
> of entryism by the US NGO HOT US Inc at the OSMF Board through
> Geoffrey Kateregga and Miriam Gonzalez candidatures after the election
> of Heather Leson (2017) and Mikel Maron (2015) who joined Kate Chapman
> (2013).
>
> [...]
>
> The above is a principled position in favor of diversity at the OSMF
> Board and not an anti position against HOT US Inc as an organization
> or against Miriam and Geoffrey as persons.

Heather, Kate, Mikel, Miriam, and Geoffrey are voting members of HOT.
However none of them are currently in the HOT Board of Directors. As far as
I can tell, being a voting member of HOT places no obligations on the
member to take HOT's best interest or advocate for HOT in other
organizations, such as the OSMF. Being a HOT voting member does not make
one a HOT employee. Also, being a voting member of HOT is just like being a
regular or associate member of OSMF. The only difference is that HOT voting
members are nominated and then elected to become members.

Unless you have actual evidence to the contrary, your email, despite your
disclaimer in the last paragraph, seems to me to be an unfounded accusation
that HOT is aiming to influence OSMF by directing its voting members to run
for the OSMF Board. Based on their manifestos and answers to the community
questions, I think that Miriam and Geoffrey are passionate enough about OSM
that they accepted their nomination to become HOT voting members, and now
want to join the OSMF Board of their own volition, and not the other way
around (HOT specifically directing them to run for the OSMF Board).

~Eugene