[Osmf-talk] [OSM-talk] Candidate's views? Re: Board decision on Crimea complaint

Nikos Roussos comzeradd at fsfe.org
Wed Dec 12 12:03:02 UTC 2018

December 11, 2018 3:51 PM, "Christoph Hormann" <chris_hormann at gmx.de> wrote:

> Until such arguments are provided and convince me i will continue to say
> that advocating the on-the-ground rule and the concept of verifiability
> for all data in OSM - including administrative boundaries - is not a
> political statement, it is a statement of support for the fundamental
> values of OpenStreetMap and as i have said repeatedly already in the
> past this seems quite evidently the only basis on which OSM can hope to
> accomplish its goal to map the world geography in its diversity based
> on local knowledge of the people living in it.

This fundamental value of OpenSteetMap - mapping based on on-the-ground rule - is actually a political statement. One that I personally subscribe to. There is no way you can deal with borders and say you are political neutral. In that case we (the OSM community) follow a very specific value regardless of what states or international organizations have to say about certain parts of the world.

Even what Google does (render borders based on viewer's country) is a political statement, that of relying on states authority to define borders.