[Osmf-talk] [OSM-talk] Candidate's views? Re: Board decision on Crimea complaint

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Wed Dec 12 12:55:09 UTC 2018

On Wednesday 12 December 2018, Nikos Roussos wrote:
> > Until such arguments are provided and convince me i will continue
> > to say that advocating the on-the-ground rule and the concept of
> > verifiability for all data in OSM - including administrative
> > boundaries - is not a political statement, it is a statement of
> > support for the fundamental values of OpenStreetMap and as i have
> > said repeatedly already in the past this seems quite evidently the
> > only basis on which OSM can hope to accomplish its goal to map the
> > world geography in its diversity based on local knowledge of the
> > people living in it.
>
> This fundamental value of OpenSteetMap - mapping based on
> on-the-ground rule - is actually a political statement. [...]

You could certainly define politics and the concept of making a
political statement this way.  In a similar fashion you could also say
that being a scientist and adhering to the scientific principle is a
political statement.  Of having certain religious convictions is.

Anyway my call was for arguments that OSM cannot map the
on-the-ground verifiable geography without taking sides in political
questions.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/