[Osmf-talk] 2018 a third episode of entryism by HOT US Inc at OSMF Board after 2015 and 2017: call 4 action (candidates/members) for a balanced OSMF Board

Severin Menard severin.menard at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 12:52:18 UTC 2018

Hi,

> We're witnessing in this 2018 election a third and continued attempt
>> of entryism by the US NGO HOT US Inc at the OSMF Board through
>> Geoffrey Kateregga and Miriam Gonzalez candidatures after the election
>> of Heather Leson (2017) and Mikel Maron (2015) who joined Kate Chapman
>> (2013).
>> [...]
>> The above is a principled position in favor of diversity at the OSMF
>> Board and not an anti position against HOT US Inc as an organization
>> or against Miriam and Geoffrey as persons.
>>

> Heather, Kate, Mikel, Miriam, and Geoffrey are voting members of HOT.
> However none of them are currently in the HOT Board of Directors.

It may be worth mentioning we are not only speaking about "simple" voting
members. Mikel and Heather are two former presidents of the board, Kate is
a former Executive Director and Geoffrey is a current staff from their
Global Team (https://www.hotosm.org/staff/). Would you imagine having
Telenav, Mapbox (just quoting these two companies because they currently
have one staff in the OSMF board) or any other organization using OSM in
its business model having two former presidents, one former ED and a
current staff in the OSMF board representing de facto the majority of its
votes? I do not know why it seems to be different regarding HOT US Inc,
moreover if you consider that this organization, more than any other
previously mentioned, relies its business model entirely on OSM.

Sincerely,

Severin