[Osmf-talk] 2018 a third episode of entryism by HOT US Inc at OSMF Board after 2015 and 2017: call 4 action (candidates/members) for a balanced OSMF Board

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Wed Dec 12 22:33:32 UTC 2018

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 1:16 PM Paul Norman <paul.norman at osmfoundation.org>
wrote:

> I support not having more than one board member from the same
> organization. It's probably not practical to make this an AoA requirement.

I'd like to explore what this means. For example is it membership in the
organization, employment, a directorship?

At the moment both HOT and FOSSGIS have multiple people that are members of
their organization on the board. There are not board members that work for
the same company or have directorships on the same board of the same
organization. There was a brief period where two of us were both
contracting with the Wikimedia Foundation at the same time.

In my own case. Yes, I've done humanitarian work, though HOT was actually
my only humanitarian job. If I resign my HOT membership am I then
considered unaffilitated? I'm also a member of OSGeo, I'm not sure if any
of the rest of the board are also members of that. Are there board members
that share memberships in other organizations as well? I could see there
being cross over in some not mapping technical orgs as well.

-Kate

(The reason I do not say HOT US Inc. is I'm the one that incorporated the
paperwork years ago. That name was used actually to make it easier for
there to be incorporations in other countries. So in the attempt to be more
inclusive instead the name has been waved around to divide people.)