[Osmf-talk] Treasurer's Report for the 2018 AGM

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Dec 13 18:53:42 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 12/13/18 16:41, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> could you explain a bit more in detail the
> following positions:
>
> * Miscellaneous Income

Barclays Bank has something called a "Loyality reward" and every so
often we receive one or two pounds from that reward programme. In 2017
the "Miscellaneous Income" was exclusively that.

In 2018 a Google Summer of Code grant of £4,600 was booked under
"Miscellaneous Income" as well. We receive some money from Google every
time we participate in Summer of Code; the amount depends on how many
projects we have and they usually add in something extra so we can pay
for mentors to attend the mentor summit.

> * SotM Working Group Consultancy services

This the portion of Dorothea's work that she spent on SotM. We account
for this separately so that we get a better picture of the overall cost
of SotM, and also because we have to pay tax on SotM profits!

> And IIRC in the past the OSMF also received pro bono professional legal
> advise in various cases - could you detail how this is in 2018 and how
> this compares to the previous years.

I can't because we do not account for pro bono legal counsel. Generally,
we use the pro bono counsel for advice regarding organisational or AoA
matters. The last time we did this was I believe about one year ago
asking for advice regarding conflicts of interest.

The legal expense we show in the books is all trademark related, a topic
we never use the pro bono counsel for. The money is partly for trademark
registration or extension fees, partly for the lawyers' work in doing
the registrations, and in one or two cases we've actually asked them to
send a letter to someone violating our trademark, or file an opposition
to a competing trademark. I don't feel competent enough to give a
detailed overview (and some pending trademark registrations are also
kept confidential so that nobody snaps a trademark away from under our
noses). You'll certainly find some details in the LWG meeting minutes,
or maybe someone from LWG wants to give a small activity report as well?

Bye
Frederik