[Osmf-talk] Board members with similar background (was: 2018 a third episode...)

nicolas chavent nicolas.chavent at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 06:55:19 UTC 2018

Hi,

Eugene, HOT US Inc has been named in that election discussion because
this is the only organization which after having his former Excecutive
Director joining the OSMF Board in 2013, has been increasing its
presence at the Board with two of its former presidents in 2015 and
2017 and could very well be in a position to maintain that dynamics.
That's a fact and this state of facts triggered a discussion about
diversity at the OSMF Board since this principle is being damaged.
There is nothing against HOT US Inc per se, had this organization
self-contained its presence at the OSMF, this conversation may or may
not have happened, and in case it happened may had been conducted only
at an abstract level. What is minimally at play here is that any
organization (HOT US Inc included) has a culture of its own, no matter
how diverse its membership is. If we want a OSMF Board diverse to
ensure the maximal presence of the OSM world (mappers and all forms of
collective mapping groups) at the OSMF board, then it makes sense to
limit/organize the presence of the various "cultures" at the Board
since historically we have been witnessing that organization failed to
self-organize on that matter. In so doing, we need to keep in minds
the autonomy of the OSM project and the fondation and re-ask ourselves
what ultimately made OSM that strong, still makes it that strong and
will keep making it strong shall the hype and economic interest around
the project diminish, and surely the hobbyists/craft mappers come
forth, hence why that perspective, that OSM viewpoint has to continue
be present and influential at the Board of the fondation. The level of
it, the mechanisms that allow for it, are at the core of this
discussion and solid views have been expressed so far.

Best,
Nicolas

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 2:07 AM Eugene Alvin Villar <seav80 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, December 14, 2018, Mikel Maron <mikel.maron at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Likewise, thinking that someone's first encounter with OSM through their job can not lead them to a true and deep passion for the map is a disservice.
>
> +1.
>
> I would even include in this category people whose first encounter with OSM was through a job but rather through HOT activations or Missing Maps activities, which is a group of mappers I perceive that some vocal portion of craft/hobby mappers view with some level of suspicion, hence the discussion to limit OSMF board membership coming from the HOT voting members.
>
> ~Eugene
> (Hobby mapper since 2007) _______________________________________________

Nicolas Chavent
Les Libres GĂ©ographes