[Osmf-talk] Board members with similar background (was: 2018 a third episode...)

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 08:30:11 UTC 2018

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 2:55 PM nicolas chavent <nicolas.chavent at gmail.com>
wrote:

> What is minimally at play here is that any organization (HOT US Inc
> included) has a culture of its own, no matter how diverse its membership
> is. If we want a OSMF Board diverse to ensure the maximal presence of the
> OSM world (mappers and all forms of collective mapping groups) at the OSMF
> board, then it makes sense to limit/organize the presence of the various
> "cultures" at the Board since historically we have been witnessing that
> organization failed to self-organize on that matter.

You brought up "culture" as a reason to limit HOT US Inc voting members
being part of the OSMF Board. You have also brought up Tobias' proposal to
"limit board members from the same org to 1 seat". But unless the OSM Wiki
is badly outdated regarding FOSSGIS e.V. membership[1], Tobias is himself
violating his own proposal because Frederik and Tobias are both members of
FOSSGIS e.V. But if both are not members of the German OSMF local chapter
at the same time right now, they are both certainly members of the German
OSM community which could be argued is a "culture" on its own, just more
loosely connected. The only major difference between the German OSM
community as a "culture" and HOT voting members as another "culture" is
that the latter is based on an incorporated entity. As I mentioned in my
reply to your initial message, HOT voting members are not employees of HOT
and are not obliged to always view OSM through the HOT point of view.

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:FOSSGIS-Mitglied

~Eugene