[Osmf-talk] Board members with similar background (was: 2018 a third episode...)

Gregory sotm at livingwithdragons.com
Sat Dec 15 13:08:50 UTC 2018

Frederick talked about the "revolving door" of employment in industries.
Should we not encourage that in OpenStreetMap?
That if you dedicate your time to an OSMF working group or board position,
that a company might identify your passion and pay you to direct your
business-hours passion to their work. Now what happens if they already
employ someone who happens to be on the OSMF board, or simply that someone
from any industry is on the board. Should they not employ you? Should the
terms of employment require you to resign from the board? Is all that
healthy for OSM?

There is also the thought of where you drawn the line. What if your
employer wasn't doing anything with OpenStreetMap but (maybe thanks to your
encouragement/chat) they start using it. They might use it loads, they
might only switch the slippy map on their contact page, their usage might
be somewhere in-between. What if you're a freelancer that doesn't do any
OpenStreetMap work, or apart from that one week in the year where you did
some coding or consultancy about OSM and a company insisted on paying you
for it? Again with the questions. You might not even recall that work when
you run for the board, if they payment was some time ago or if you donated
it all(privately) to OSMF or a local chapter.

On a side note... If any companies are looking to employ someone with a lot
of knowledge and passion about OpenStreetMap, you are most welcome to get
in touch with me. I'm not a candidate for the OSMF Board. You will have to
give me time off in September to attend State of the Map, and understand
that I use a lot of my lunch breaks to organise the conference or to help a
Missing Maps project. I usually talk about OSM in job interviews, even when
it's not relevant. To everyone else, don't worry I'm not worried about
running for the OSMF board.

>From my home office,
Gregory (LivingWithDragons)