[Osmf-talk] Humanitarian work (was: 2018 a third episode...)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Dec 15 13:43:17 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 12/15/18 14:27, Gregory wrote:
> What would be wrong with HOT dominating the OSMF Humanitarian Working Group?

The idea of having an OSMF working group would be that it would first
and foremost have OSM's and OSMF's interests at heart, and be
independent of third parties.

For example, if someone contacted the OSMF about help with a
humanitarian project, the working group would be expected to, without
taking sides, point them in the right/best direction. Or if someone was
unhappy with the way certain humanitarian projects were conducted in
OSM, they could also seek help from the working group. Being "dominated"
by any of the groups active in the humanitarian sector would make it
difficult for the working group to do their job well.

Frankly, I am surprised that I have to explain that. Maybe I didn't make
the idea clear enough. I'll re-state my thought process:

1. Humanitarian use of OSM is currently dominated by HOT in the public
view and in our own view as well.

2. This is not good, since there are other organisations that have just
as much right to do humanitarian work as HOT has, and we should not
favour HOT over others.

3. Therefore, having an independent working group in OSM would be good.

4. If HOT were to dominate the working group, the problem stated in 1.
and 2., for which 3. was intended to be the solution, would be
introduced again and the whole exercise would have been for naught.

Bye
Frederik