[Osmf-talk] Humanitarian work (was: 2018 a third episode...)

Joseph Reeves iknowjoseph at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 14:23:11 UTC 2018

We're agreed then :)

Now all we need is for a group of people to come forward and say that they
would like to form a new WG. I am less worried about the number of HOT
members in a new group for a couple of reasons badly expressed:

   1.  I don't think that HOT is some aggressively expansionist group that
   will want to gobble up any humanitarian projects on the horizon. I think
   it's possible for HOT members / contributors to have their own ideas /
   suggestions that are more involved than "email HOT". We all know of other
   work that's going on, for example.
   2. I would hope / expect that the activities of the WG were at least
   checked by the OSMF. So, for example, if after a year the WG had done
   nothing except point enquiries towards HOT, I hope someone external would
   say "this isn't right".
   3. A Humanitarian WG would only be dominated by HOT members if all those
   people who, usually at election time, say they want to do humanitarian work
   without being part of HOT fail to step up when they have the opportunity.

Based on recent emails to the list I would say that there should be non-HOT
people currently rushing to create this group. In fact, it's possible to
imagine a situation opposite to the above: A new WG would have a
disproportionately small HOT constituency and HOT would suffer as a result.

Cheers, Joseph