[Osmf-talk] HOT, CoC, LGBTQ+ (Re: Communication style - moderation - CoC [was Re: Board members with similar background)

Dale Kunce dale.kunce at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 15:21:03 UTC 2018

Rory,
I don't think I was saying things are perfect with our Code of Conduct. We
do strive to continually improve.

LGBTQ+ community support is something we as a community need to work on. I
thought your comments and suggestions around the last summit were dead on
and a fair critique of the event and the safe place we hope to create.
Please continue to help make us better.

As one of the authors of the CoC I am happy to work on this and add some
more context and guidance for how to deal with situations like the ones
created by having an event in a country with laws we disagree with. If you
are able I would love your help.

Dale

On Dec 16, 2018 6:22 AM, "Rory McCann" <rory at technomancy.org> wrote:

On 16.12.18 07:56, Dale Kunce wrote:
> We as community should adopt a Code of Conduct, not because we want
> to moderate individuals but because some people's speech and actions
> are so terrible it should not be welcomed. A Code of Conduct is not a
> weapon it is a compact. As implemented by HOT our CoC is a compact
> between people that civility, honesty, and grace are the basic
> principles we believe in.
I don't know anything about what happens with Nico or Severin, so I'm
not commenting on that. I also don't know about CoC complaints in HOT.
(And think all parts of OSM should adopt a CoC!)

But I don't think HOT fully knows what a safe space is, and doubt
their ability to fully enforce a CoC.

I speak about the 2018 HOT Summit, which was held in a country where
same sex sexual activity is illegal, and the police appear to be
enforcing that law. I've been to that city twice on holidays, but,
cripes, LGBTQ+ people need to be *very* careful.

I do believe this problem didn't occur to them (straight/cis
privilege!), I hope they took this as a learning opportunity. But their
claim that it is a safe space for LGBTQ* people, while also advising
that it was dangerous to act gay[1], displays face-palming levels of
ignorance. And, to the best of my knowledge, they haven't corrected
that. There's nothing wrong with admitting mistakes!

As a member of the LGBTQ* community, I'd be wary about anyone who claims
that HOT is great at CoC's, I'm not sure they'd (be able to) stand up
for people like me.

--

[1] "The conference is a safe space and all are welcome regardless of
gender identity/sexual orientation. CoC here:

P.S.: Perhaps I'm missing some important information about HOT & LGBTQ*
issues, I'm not perfect (Indian law/enforcement didn't seem as bad as I
initially thought, mea culpa), feel free to correct me here, in private,
on/off the record, via subtweeting, through dreams and visions, in your
prayers, through your sacrifices, etc cetera