[Osmf-talk] HOT, CoC, LGBTQ+ (Re: Communication style - moderation - CoC [was Re: Board members with similar background)

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 19:58:42 UTC 2018

Hi Rory,

To your exact and specific issue:

First off, yes, I think the HOT Summit this year was an eye opener for
everyone at HOT to the issue that the safety of all participants is
directly impacted by the laws of the country, state, etc where events
are held and how the term safe space is understood by different
people.

I think you are 100% correct that straight privileged was an
underlying issue as well in the process of venue selection and points
to why diversity in organizations across as many spectrum as possible
is so important.

When you raised the issue, we immediately understood the issue and
tried to clarify that when we said safe space, it was in the context
of the laws of the country that the event was held in.  In that
context, and because of that context, the HOT Summit staff and
volunteers would do whatever was in their control to make sure every
attendee was safe and they were made aware of the fact that police
involvement brought risks to LGBTQ+ attendees so things should be
handled accordingly.

And I reached out to you directly to ask for help putting together
some expert and lay person advice for LGBTQ+ travelers or links to
such advice that we could share with all attendees, both helping those
attending and raising awareness of the issue among those who's
privileged might have led them to not think about those issues others
face.

I believe to paraphrase your reply it was something like "that doesn't
matter, you don't understand what safe space means." I just remember
your first reply was not especially supportive of that idea and was
more focused on what safe space meant.

I did put one together anyway, and I believe you contributed to it
eventually via the diversity list as well, I do not know if it was
ever incorporated into any Summit public web pages or not.

We did our best Rory, I can't thank you enough for raising this issue,
I missed it totally during the venue selection process for the reason
stated above, I apologize for that and you can be sure it will not be
something I miss again. I hope the issue will be considered by every
OSM related event around the world going forward.

Respectfully,
Blake